Pages

The Pleasure vs Pain equation

Things go well, things go badly. The two seem to be linked by some unfathomable law which holds an equilibrium between pleasure and pain. Or put another way, everything has an equal and opposite reaction? Something like that. All I know is what when something goes well, something else won't.









So anyway I won a City and Guilds Gold medal of excellence in Feltmaking and Design. It was a wonderful feeling being awarded, a real pinch me I'm dreaming moment.

The back of the medal has the  arms of the 16 livery companies that set up the initial City and Guilds training ... it's shiny and pretty and I was very proud. Then I was invited to the Lion awards to celebrate...





























Best bib and tucker donned, managed not to spill my food down my frock or twist my ankle (I am out of the habit of wearing high heels). Met lots of interesting people including a Saville row tailor, ate wonderful food, watched marvellous entertainment, stayed up late and enjoyed every second.

Then I came home and received the results of the MRI scan during the preoperative assessment. My shoulders aren't ever going to be good enough to carry on felting, even after going under the knife. All repetitive motion has to be avoided. While I was expecting some decompression surgery, it may involve a rotator cuff repair as well.

All the work I had put into using the washing machine as a felting tool was not enough, it bought me enough time to get me to here, but now it has to stop. After all, who would be so stupid as to carry on doing something that is simply going to damage them physically?
Not me.

5 comments:

  1. Frances,
    I am so sorry to hear about your shoulder! This has been a real battle for you.

    It is good however, to see the lovely pictures of you at the award ceremony.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad about the award, sorry about the injuries.
    I picked up RSI when learning to use the laptop...now I have to throw differently to avoid more damage

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry to hear this.

    you so deserve the award - your work is brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's horrible news about your shoulder. But! now you can develop your stitching!. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just going through your wonderful blog. I am so sorry to hear about your shoulder, but you have the right attitude in not further injuring your body. And, there's nothing to stop you from enjoying the felt work of others, and also continuing the friendships that I'm sure you've developed, both of which I so enjoy. I do believe that the fiber arts/felting have some of the nicest people on the face of the earth.

    Oh, and congratulations on your well deserved honor.

    ReplyDelete